Friday, April 25, 2008

And Now, Headlining, An-n-i-e Coulter!

By Nicholas Stix

I’ve often said that in a previous life, Annie Coulter was a borscht belt comic. I’ve heard it said that a characteristic of Jewish humor is the double punch line—an initial punch line, and then a bigger one on top of it. Well, in her new column, Coulter does a triple punch.

“At one rally, Dohrn famously praised the Manson family for murdering Sharon Tate and others, shouting: ‘Dig it. First they killed those pigs, then they ate dinner in the same room with them. They even shoved a fork into a victim's stomach! Wild!’

”In a better country, just saying ‘Dig it!’ in public would get you 20 years in the slammer.

”Dohrn has recently tried to clarify her Manson remarks by saying it was some sort of ‘statement’ about violence in society and, furthermore, that she said it while under sniper fire in Bosnia. Also recently, the members of the Manson family have distanced themselves from Ayers and Dohrn.”


With the “20 years" line, I chuckled; with “sniper fire,” I choked with laughter; and when I read “members of the Manson family have distanced themselves,” tears came to my eyes.