Saturday, July 05, 2014

Was W. Mark Felt the Real “Deep Throat”?

 

W. Mark Felt, during his 1970s heyday as FBI deputy director
 

Re-posted by Nicholas Stix

By Countenance

Countenance responded to reader Puggg, who had opined,
If anyone still held the accusation credibly that Pat Buchanan was deep throat, that’s all gone now.


Countenance:

It was perhaps entertaining to entertain the thought that PJB, “seemingly” loyal to the Republican Party to a fault, would secretly do right by the country by spilling to Woodward. But really, it was outside of the realm of possibility.

And now, I have my doubts that Mark Felt was even deep throat. The story I buy is that one of the grand jurors was leaking to Woodward, which meant that both the grand juror and Woodward were committing Federal felonies of leaking/receiving the results of a confidential Federal grand jury. I think the "Mark Felt as deep throat story" is a cock-and-bull cover-up.
 

Rather than re-post a blog item from my favorite blogger, I have here simply done a copy-and-paste of a comment of his. Why let it rot in his comments section?

By the way, I recently came across some genius who claimed the existence of a “journalistic rule,” whereby the story following a headline ending with a question mark always responds in the negative. I guess the genius never heard of a rhetorical question. I bet I could fill a book with phony “rules” and “laws.”

“I gotta write a book on that.”


No comments: