Thursday, November 13, 2014

Lena Dunham, Confessed Incestuous Child Molester

 

 

Lena Dunham Describes Sexually Abusing Her Little Sister
"...anything a sexual predator might do to woo a small suburban girl I was trying."
By Bradford Thomas
10.29.2014
Truth Revolt

In her newly published collection of personal essays, Not That Kind of Girl, Lena Dunham describes experimenting sexually with her younger sister Grace, whom she says she attempted to persuade to kiss her using “anything a sexual predator might do.” In one particularly unsettling passage, Dunham experimented with her six-year younger sister’s vagina. “This was within the spectrum of things I did,” she writes.

In the collection of nonfiction personal accounts, Dunham describes using her little sister at times essentially as a sexual outlet, bribing her to kiss her for prolonged periods and even masturbating while she is in the bed beside her. But perhaps the most disturbing is an account she proudly gives of an episode that occurred when she was seven and her sister was one. Here’s the full passage (p. 158-9):

“Do we all have uteruses?” I asked my mother when I was seven.

“Yes,” she told me. “We’re born with them, and with all our eggs, but they start out very small. And they aren’t ready to make babies until we’re older.” I look at my sister, now a slim, tough one-year-old, and at her tiny belly. I imagined her eggs inside her, like the sack of spider eggs in Charlotte’s Web, and her uterus, the size of a thimble.

“Does her vagina look like mine?”

“I guess so,” my mother said. “Just smaller.”

One day, as I sat in our driveway in Long Island playing with blocks and buckets, my curiosity got the best of me. Grace was sitting up, babbling and smiling, and I leaned down between her legs and carefully spread open her vagina. She didn’t resist and when I saw what was inside I shrieked.

My mother came running. “Mama, Mama! Grace has something in there!”

My mother didn’t bother asking why I had opened Grace’s vagina. This was within the spectrum of things I did. She just got on her knees and looked for herself. It quickly became apparent that Grace had stuffed six or seven pebbles in there. My mother removed them patiently while Grace cackled, thrilled that her prank had been a success.


[I don’t see any one-year-old getting such an idea.]

Dunham describes the book as a “work of nonfiction” in which “some names and identifying details have been changed.” She also states that she considers herself an “unreliable narrator,” which gives her some wiggle room on the truth of her accounts. As National Review's Kevin D. Williamson notes, this passage is “especially suspicious.” Clearly Grace’s prank is done with the expectation of her older sister “poking around in her genitals. … There is no non-horrific interpretation of this episode.”

 

Updates

After Lena Dunham went on a self-described “rage spiral” in response to this article, which she called “f*cking upsetting and disgusting,” her lawyer sent a cease and desist letter to TruthRevolt threatening to sue us for “millions of dollars” if we did not pull the piece and post a retraction stating that this story was “false.” TruthRevolt refused.

Monday, TruthRevolt editor-in-chief Ben Shapiro posted a response to the cease and desist letter, which includes more of the passages from her book upon which our assessment was based and argues that “quoting a woman’s book does not constitute a ‘false’ story”:

Lena Dunham may not like our interpretation of her book, but unfortunately for her and her attorneys, she wrote that book – and the First Amendment covers a good deal of material she may not like.

Dunham announced Monday that she canceled book tour events in Berlin and Belgium. Tuesday, she issued a public apology via Time in which she said she wanted to be "very clear that I do not condone any kind of abuse under any circumstance" and apologized for passages and language in her book that might have "been painful or triggering" for readers:

If the situations described in my book have been painful or triggering for people to read, I am sorry, as that was never my intention. I am also aware that the comic use of the term “sexual predator” was insensitive, and I’m sorry for that as well.

Grace Dunham also responded to the controversy via Twitter on Monday, stating:

As a queer person: i'm committed to people narrating their own experiences, determining for themselves what has and has not been harmful / heteronormativity deems certain behaviours harmful, and others "normal"; the state and media are always invested in maintaining that / 2day, like every other day, is a good day to think about how we police the sexualities of young women, queer, and trans people

 

Editorial notes: This article has been modified to correct for the typo 'seventeen' in the initial line of the book excerpt and to add updates of subsequent events.

3 comments:

Glaivester said...

I think you forgot to include an italics break after the last quote from Grace Dunham (before the "editorial notes").

Nicholas said...

Thanks for your close reading, G, but I just double-checked the original, and it actually has both paragraphs in italics. I had put an italics break in after the last para before the ed note, but just removed it, because the italics are continuous.

Your instincts were right, but the editor at the original pub used bad style sense.

Gem Junior said...

way Dunham identifies herself and talks about how "being queer" and "identifying as queer" in the "queer lifestyle" still makes me want to laugh like I'm in church. It's all so seeeeerioussss and pretentious, we are just so speciallllll. I guess I was badly brought up in the less sensitive, inconsiderate time before political correctness. Back then everyone rode their bikes around the neighborhood and very few parents stalked their kids, and we called out bad names to each other and mocked at one another's failures (I now see how terrible this was, as we are all successful adults rather than the serial killers we should have become). But some of us are terribly offensive. We still let slip some words like "queer" or "fag" and they have nothing to do with homosexuality, funny enough. When I was young, acting like a gay fag was refusing to ask your mom if we could come into your basement and play with your Atari or something like that. In fact, my brother had three Planet of the Apes dolls which were all the rage in the mid-70s and I used to call him a big Queer because he always wanted me to be Zeera. LOL. There were a lot less kids in therapy, even if we were insensitive...