Monday, December 01, 2014

Molly, by Biff Rose (Video of Orchestral Version, Without Commercial Interruption)

Re-posted by Nicholas Stix
 



Uploaded on Feb 26, 2013 by F Schminke.
 

Molly
Words & Music by Biff Rose

When I was a young man,
I ran away from home,
I went to join the circus,
I went to see the cotton candy world.

And make me lots of money, on my own,
For Molly, oh, my pretty Molly,
She’s waiting, all alone,
Someday soon I will return to her.

Then I made the big time,
Bright lights, show biz,
I'm really in the circus,
There’s only one thing wrong.

I haven’t saved a penny, on my own,
For Molly, oh, my pretty Molly,
But she’s writing every day,
Molly understands, so it’s o.k.

Ride a windy boxcar,
And see a thousand children, young and old,
Oh, that grease paint smile,
Can hide your soul.

Here comes the carousel,
Guess which town it is,
Feel the thrill,
Grease paint covers everything,
But winter’s chill.

I’m reading Molly’s letter…
The ink is fading,
And the page is turning yellow,
Long ago,
I promised Molly,
Don’t you know… I

I will close my eyes,
And go to her.

2 comments:

Mal said...

Well I'll be damned. When I used to do this song on friend's pianos at parties I was the only bugger that owned this album!
Many thanks for pulling "Molly" out of my personal History Hat, Mr. S.

Nicholas said...

You're very welcome, Mal.

I'm sure you sang it better than Biff Rose did. Even as a young man, he couldn't sing a lick! But it's the most poignant song I've ever heard, and I've heard me a few. The lovely orchestration covers a multitude of sins.