Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Barbra Streisand Singing Kern and Hammerstein’s “Can’t Help Lovin’ Dat Man of Mine,” from Showboat, Accompanied by Stevie Wonder on Harmonica, with Complete Lyrics and an Ava Gardner Photoessay

Re-posted by Nicholas Stix

This performance is presumably from Streisand’s 1985 The Broadway Album, back when she was the world’s greatest girl singer.

The guy who put this together is obviously an Ava Gardner (1920-1990) fanatic, for whom Streisand’s splendid performance was just a pretext for the photoessay he put together.

Most of the pics are from the ‘50s. I think Gardner was most beautiful in the ‘40s, when she wore her hair lighter, as some of the earlier photos show. I don’t think any of these are from the 1960s, and it’s just as well. Already in On the Beach (1958), which she made when she was at most 37, years of boozing and smoking had almost ruined her looks, though she still had one good angle.

Can’t Help Lovin’ Dat Man of Mine (1927)
Lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein II (1895-1960)
Music by Jerome Kern (1885-1945)

Oh listen, Sister, I love my mister man,
And I can't tell you why,
There ain't no reason,
Why I should love dat man,
It must be somethin' that the angels did plan.

The chimney's smokin', the roof is leakin' in,
But he don't seem to care,
He can be happy with just a sip of gin,
I even love him when his kisses got gin.

Fish got to swim, birds got to fly,
I got to love one man 'til I die,
Can't help lovin' dat man of mine.

Tell me he's lazy, tell me he's slow,
Tell me I'm crazy; maybe, I know,
Can't help lovin' dat man of mine.

When he goes away,
That's a rainy day,
And when he comes back
That day is fine,
The sun will shine.

He can come home as late as can be,
Home without him ain't no home to me,
Can't help lovin' dat man of mine.

 


Published on January 29, 2014 by Jeffrey a.

No comments: